Friday, April 17, 2009

Old enough for college?

Today my little brother Brian finds out that both Matthew and I are applying for colleges. Brian comes and stands right in front of me. He looks at me for a moment and then says, "Are you really old enough for college?"
"Yes, Brian, I'm graduating from high school this year." I said all mater-of -factly.
"Really? You look too young to be that old!" he says to me, then to my mother he says: "mom, is Emily really old enough to go to college?"

**Note** (my mom and I went to parent teacher conferences today... and they were interesting)

My mom's answer to this was "Physically she is."
So being the nice, sweet, not so confident TEENAGER that I am I say, "Physically?"
Then mom has a moment of realization of how badly that could be taken, and in trying to fix it says "I didn't realize how bad that sounded until I said it. I only was thinking about how I would handle it."
And I being the teenager that came out of a bad parent teacher conference, thought: 'UhHuh...sure.'

No comments:

Post a Comment